Port Moresby, PAPUA NEW GUINEA – November 30, 2020: 1:08pm (RNZ PACIFIC): Nine new cases of Covid-19 reported in West New Britain have taken Papua New Guinea’s total number of confirmed infections to 655.
West New Britain’s total number of confirmed cases has now surged to 51, the third highest of any province.
Six of the new cases are male and three are female, with the oldest being 63 years old and the youngest 38.
Contact tracing has begun with assistance being offered to provincial authorities by the National Department of Health and the World Health Organisation.
National Pandemic Response Controller, David Manning, has called upon people to continue to observe Covid-19 health protocols by wearing masks, practising hand sanitising and avoiding crowded areas.
He said PNG had done far better than many countries, but only because of drastic measures taken earlier in the year.
“We cannot let our guard down and must continue to be vigilant,” Manning said.